Participants at Life Skills often work with community partners, businesses and social enterprises to support and engage in desired pathways including work, skill development and ongoing learning, recreation, and leisure options. Participants identify learning and social needs then work towards achieving these options. Participants are encouraged to develop life skills to live as independently as possible.
Participants can choose to assist with Meals on Wheels, visit nursing homes, partake sporting and recreational activities, or focus on education, training or work experience. Work experience is gained through doing contract work at the many Christie Centre social enterprises, or as part of a work crew attending local businesses. Independence is promoted through activities focusing on self-advocacy, positive relationships, money skills and healthy lifestyles. In addition to day time activities, after hours social outings are also offered.
Community inclusion and volunteering
- Fundraising, awareness campaigns
- Community service (e.g. meals on wheels, nursing home visits, One Hub Irymple library services)
- Community events
- Radio talk show experience/service promotion
Recreational and Social participation
- Tri-State Games
- Arts Festivals
- Mildura Eisteddfod
- Band, Choir
- Senior Citizens
- Dance classes/parties
- Cert I in Work Education
- Cert II in Horticulture
- Supported & Open Employment
- Training and Work experience/placements – maintenance, e-waste dismantling, packaging, cleaning, office work, horticulture, and 2nd hand clothing sorting, pricing and sales.
- Life skills – self-awareness, self-advocacy, positive relationships, healthy lifestyles, travel training, healthy eating, money skills, building independence, confidence, and self-esteem.
Another opportunity available through the Christie Centre is attending the One Hub Irymple – a community space that provides access to the local Council library services, an open community meeting space, public internet, craft and other activities.
One Hub Irymple
2128 Fifteenth Street
Irymple VIC 3498
Phone 03 5024 5653
Tuesday – Thursday 11am to 4pm